Creating Your User Login ID and Initial Password during Registration
User Login IDs
User Login IDs are 5-16 characters in length. Spaces are not allowed. Your User Login ID can contain the following characters:
- Dollar ($)
- Underscore (_)
- Hyphen (-)
Your User Login ID is permanent and cannot be changed later.
Your password must meet several requirements. Be sure to review the password requirements below prior to creating the password:
- Passwords must be 8 - 20 characters in length
- Passwords must contain at least:
- One upper case alphabetic letter: A - Z
- One lower case alphabetic letter: a - z
- One numeric digit: 0 - 9
- One special character (only the characters listed below are valid):
- Hashtag (#)
- Dollar ($)
- Percent (%)
- Ampersand (&)
- Passwords cannot contain:
- Your first or last name
- Any special characters that are not listed above
- User Login ID
- Security question answers
- Words found in a dictionary (four or more letters)
Some helpful suggestions to assist you in the creation of your new password:
- Choose a smaller password and repeat it: Ab#1Ab#1
- Use the $ sign in place of the letter “S”: Pa$$1Pa$$1
- Use the number zero in place of the letter “O”: w0rd1w0rd1
- Use the number one in place of the letter “I”: Wh1te$Wh1te$
In addition, remember the following password rules:
- Passwords can only be changed once in a 24-hour period
- Newly created passwords must be different from the previous 24 passwords used.
- Newly created passwords must differ from the previous password by at least four characters.
Once you choose your password, enter it in the “New Password” field, and then reenter the same password in the “Confirm Password” field.
If you are having trouble creating your own password, you can have the portal auto-generate a password for you. Select the “Generate Password” link and the portal will generate a password that meets the password requirements. It will autofill the generated password in the “New Password” and “Confirm Password” fields.
NOTE: Please remember the auto-generated password. You will need to enter the password the next time you log in.
Create your E-Signature (Date of Birth and Secret Questions and Answers)
During the registration process, you will also create your e-signature. The only times you will use this second level of security is if you forget your User Login ID or password and for recertification of your portal account.
To create your e-signature, enter your date of birth and choose three security questions. It is very important to enter your correct date of birth, as you cannot change this information later.
Be sure to note the format of your answers to your security questions. (For example, if you select a question that has a date for an answer, make sure to note if you spell out the date or use numerals. The portal would consider “January 1, 2020,” “01/01/20,” and “01/01/2020” to be completely different answers.)
You may wish to make a note of the questions you select. If you need to use the Forgot User Login ID/Password feature, you will need to identify one of your secret questions from a list.
NOTE: No one has access to your e-signature information except you. Neither an NPI Administrator nor Medicare staff can see or update your e-signature answers or date of birth in the portal.
- User-created and auto-generated passwords expire every 60 days.
- Temporary passwords expire after a single use. In addition, temporary passwords must be used within 21 days. (NOTE: If a new user does not enter their temporary password within 21 days, their account will need to be recreated.)
Once a password expires, the portal will display the “Password Expired” page when you log in. You will need to change your password before continuing.
- Enter the expired password in the “Current Password” field.
- Enter a newly created password in the “New Password” field. (The portal automatically completes this field if you auto-generate the password.)
- Enter the newly created password again in the “Confirm Password” field. (The portal automatically completes this field if you auto-generate the password.)
- Select “Save my password” to change your password.
Forgot User Login ID or Password
Follow the steps below if you forget your User Login ID or your password:
Step 1: On the initial Login page, select the “Forgot User Login ID/Password?” link beneath the area where you would normally enter your ID and password.
Step 2: Select “I don’t know my User Login ID” or “I don’t know my Password” depending on which item you have forgotten.
Step 3: If you do not remember your User Login ID, the portal will ask you to enter the following items:
- Email Address
- NPI number
- Date of Birth
- Secret Question (You must select one of the three questions you selected during initial registration or recertification.)
- Secret Answer (Enter your answer in the same format as you originally answered. “January 1, 2020,” “01/01/20,” and “Jan 1, 2020” would be different answers.)
If you do not remember your password, the portal will ask you to enter the following items:
- User Login ID
- Date of Birth
- Secret Question
- Secret Answer
Step 4: Once you click Submit, the portal will display the message, “Please check your email for your User Login and/or temporary password.” The portal will send the email to the email address currently listed on your account. Check your spam or junk folders if you do not see the email in your inbox.
Step 5: Return to the portal and log in with your User login ID or the temporary password from the email.
Step 6: If you reset your password, the portal will display the Password Expired page when you log in with the temporary password from the email. You will need to change your password before continuing. See the Password Expiration section above for information about changing your password. Remember to use the temporary password from the email in the Current Password field when changing your password.
Password and User Login ID Tips and Troubleshooting
- Passwords are case-sensitive, but User Login IDs are not.
- If you forget your password, you can:
- Use the “Forgot User Login ID/Password?” to reset your password
- Contact your NPI administrator to reset your password
- NPI Administrators may contact the Provider Contact Center to reset their password
- If you enter the incorrect password three times, the portal will lock your account. A Standard and Eligibility user must contact their NPI Administrator to reset their password and unlock their account. An NPI Administrator must contact the Provider Contact Center during normal business hours to reset their password and unlock their account.
- If you receive the error message, “The client supplied invalid authentication information,” when changing your password, it means you entered the wrong information in the Current Password field. (Note: If the Current Password field displays all asterisks (*****), delete them and enter the temporary password from the password reset email. Do not allow your browser to save your password for the portal.)
- If you receive the error message, “New password verification failed. Make sure the new password fields contain the same data,” when changing your password, it means the new password and confirm new password fields do not match.
- If you receive the error message, “Password rejected due to policy violation,” when changing your password, it means the new password does not meet all the password requirements. Verify you are not using dictionary words. Also verify your password contains one of the four special characters (# $ % &).